Dean of Students - Mevers School of Excellence
Company: Charter Schools USA
Location: Goose Creek
Posted on: June 3, 2021
12 month full-time Responsible for developing and enhancing
elective courses, afterschool college preparation programs and
workshops, and parent involvement networks. Responsible for
ensuring the overall security, safety, and well-being of students
and staff, and assists the Principal in the implementation of CSUSA
policies and school oversight.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Ensures teachers are organized, manage their time well and
cover proper curriculum and cover proper curriculum conforming to
State and CSUSA mandates.
- Conducts 3-minute walk through; reports non-compliance to
- Ensures teachers follow curriculum maps to maximize high
assessments test scores.
- Works with Principal, Assistant Principal and Lead Teachers to
observe and evaluate designing and planning of instruction,
execution of education, classroom environment.
- Informs teachers of expectations prior to observing/evaluating.
Uses announced and unannounced evaluations.
- Debriefs each observation/evaluation with a post
- Ensures classroom teachers are using Personal Learning Plans
(PLP) which personalize instruction and differentiate CSUSA schools
from district schools.
- Ensures teachers meet with students individually.
- Conducts PLP training and checks PLPs quarterly.
- Supervises the setting of grade level goals for teachers who
set classroom goals.
- Analyzes data from formative and summative assessments
throughout the school.
- Works with Leadership Team to set annual school goals based on
previous year's data.
- Analyzes benchmark data.
- Checks grade books to ensure correct input of grades.
- Monitors that teachers are using assessment data for targeted
and differentiated instruction.
- Visits classrooms regularly; provide coaching on classroom
- Serves as liaison with Corporate Education to advise of what is
effective in the classroom.
- Provides professional development/coaching on research based
- Assigns teachers to arrival and dismissal duties; creates,
posts and updates schedules.
- Creates schedules so that specialized teachers are scheduled
- Creates schedule and assigns specialist teachers for special
area schedule to ensure teacher coverage of PE, Music, Art,
Spanish, Computer, Library.
- Designs schedule to create common planning time so that
classroom teachers can attend grade level cluster meetings.
- Balances schedule so that special teachers have equally
distributed planning time.
- Designs schedule so that gifted and talented students have time
for key activities and have a variety of specialized teachers.
- Places students to ensure students are with appropriate
- Checks cumulative files for learning problems to ensure student
is in correct learning environment.
- Oversees and monitors progress reports and report cards before
distribution date to ensure completeness and accuracy.
- Oversees, interviews, arranges and orients substitute teachers
to ensure smooth transition for substitute and students.
- Investigates problems of disciplinary nature, documents
information and reports findings and decisions to the appropriate
- Reports on investigations of offenses committed by
- Investigates referrals where student or school property is
stolen or reported missing.
- Works closely with the school guidance counselor, principal and
local law enforcement agencies and make referrals as
- Recommends appropriate sanctions including detentions, campus
service, suspensions and referrals to the Principal for appropriate
- Makes periodic tours of campus to ensure that school and school
board policies are being enforced.
- Assists with the enforcement of school/state attendance
- Counsels students and parents where behavioral problems are
- Assists with the supervision of organized student gatherings
and see that all equipment is operative
- Coordinates school bus supervision before and after
- Coordinates the student lunchroom and work duty
- Assists with the supervision of students detained after school
hours for disciplinary reasons
- Provides information to the principal regarding teachers'
effectiveness in classroom management and pupil control.
- Ensures school code of conduct is enforced consistently.
- Participates in school based leadership opportunities (i.e.:
team meeting, lead teacher meeting, etc).
- Convenes scheduled meetings with Guidance Counselors and
Principal to discuss individual cases and the well-being of the
MAY PERFORM OTHER DUTIES AS ASSIGNED
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature
and level of work being performed by people assigned to this job.
They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all
responsibilities, duties and skills required of personnel so
SKILLS AND KNOWLEDGE
- Demonstrates enthusiasm and commitment toward the position and
the mission of the company; support the company's values in the
strategic areas of academic excellence, operational performance,
superior culture, and financial health and growth, as outlined in
the Employee Handbook.
- Possesses strong time management & organizational skills and
the ability to prioritize effectively and complete work with little
supervision within agreed timeline.
- Has the ability to establish and maintain effective working
relationships with teachers, students, parents, the community, and
administrative staff. Is sensitive to corporate needs, employee
goodwill, and the public image, as unique situations present
- Possesses excellent interpersonal skills and displays such
between all stakeholders: being courteous, professional, and
- Possesses excellent communication skills: Oral (including
presentations), Written, Interpersonal (active listening),
Negotiating and Influencing.
- Has the ability to be at work consistently, to be on time, to
follow instructions, to respond to management direction and to
solicit feedback to improve performance.
- Demonstrates proficient experience with Microsoft Office (Word,
Excel, PowerPoint), Student Information System (SIS) and email
- Looks for ways to improve and promote quality and demonstrates
accuracy and thoroughness.
- Strives to implement best practices and positive character
- Has the ability to demonstrate flexible and creative management
of disciplinary issues.
- Has the ability to provide a supportive role to the
The work environment characteristics described here are
representative of those an employee encounters while performing the
essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be
made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the
Keywords: Charter Schools USA, Goose Creek , Dean of Students - Mevers School of Excellence, Other , Goose Creek, South Carolina
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!